I was told that my homemade coffee cake was a resounding hit for Father's Day, so I'm happy to bookmark it for future breakfasts. We taste tested ours with a late, but I'm sure it would be splendid with a mimosa as well.
It makes a bunch, so this would be a great take-along dish for a shower or hostess gift.
Blueberry Coffee Cake (adapted from here)
1 cup of sugar
1 tbs of canola oil
1 large egg
1 cup of milk (I used almond milk)
2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 tsp of kosher salt
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup of blueberries
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 350°.
- In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment combine sugar, oil, vanilla and egg and beat until combined.
- Add flour, salt, and baking powder and mix briefly to combine.
- Add milk and mix on low speed until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly, sprinkle on blueberries.
- Topping: Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, melted butter and nuts (if using) in a small bowl and mix well.
- Sprinkle topping over prepared batter.
- Place cake in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cake is golden brown. Allow to cool in pan and then cut into squares.